Here Krishna Temple




Olivia, Acacia and I joined Ainsley's 2nd grade class for a unique field trip to the Here Krishna Temple in Spanish Fork earlier this week. I had no idea they had a temple in Utah let alone 25 minutes from here. It was really interesting. I don't think the kids realized that it was a religion. They were mostly interested in the lama's. It was a good time and really eye opening for me. When we first arrived they talked about the animals on the grounds and about their garden. They are vegetarians and keep a pretty big organic garden. They let the kids bring the lama's out of their pens and take them on a walk and feed them some straw. Then they led them down a big hill for a race back up the hill. I thought somebody was going to get trampled but it ended up being pretty tame. It seems lama's are very kid friendly. It got me thinking again about how I want alpaca's but that is another story.





We then went inside to the second floor of the Temple where they talked about yoga and why it is good for our bodies and minds. I enjoyed that part and thought it was good for the kids to hear about the importance of slowing down and connecting our mind's and our spirit's. We did about 10 minutes of yoga. At Renaissance they start each day at school doing a few minutes of yoga. Ainsley thinks it is silly so it was pretty funny to watch her do this activity.

I only saw her roll her eyes a few times and she didn't look as put out as she does when they do it at school. I laughed. Then they talked about the importance of music and sang a song. They had great voices but I didn't love the "Here Krishna" song too much. All in all, I thought it was a good cultural experience and the kids loved the lama's.

Comments

  1. That is so funny, on the way home from Italy I sat by a girl on the plane whose husband belongs to that church. I had no idea it was in utah either, or anything about it (the vegatarian lifestyle, the temple, etc.- she told me ALL about it :)) ... we both learned something new this month!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts