My Canna's

Many years ago (about 12 or 13), my Aunt Candy surprised us one day by delivering a few plants to my family that she had dug up from my Grandpa's house in California after he passed away. One of those plants was a canna. I planted one and my mom planted one at her house. Each fall, I pull them out and give the bulbs to my mom. Each spring they are returned to me in little pots ready to be planted again. 


Each year I have planted them somewhere different. This year I have found their new permanent home in front of our house. This is the perfect place. They have grown up right around the lamp and offer beautiful frame to the evening light that is generated there. My Grandpa was an avid gardener. He didn't have a lot of space but he utilized it to it's maximum potential. I enjoyed picking lemons off his lemon tree and then watching as they were lovingly turned into a tangy lemon pie. It is really special to have something from his home that is still existing today. Canna's are beautiful, I LOVE their tropical look. It reminds me of who I am, where I came from and about the beauty of growth and new beginnings.

I better add, another bonus is that these beauties are sitting front and center. Hopefully those who pass by our home enjoy these lush green leaves and summery flowers so much that they don't look beyond them and see the weeds around the rest of the yard!

Comments

Popular Posts