New Colorization Feature on MyHeritage

My Heritage now offers a really fun (and maybe even addicting) option to colorize black and white photos. The crazy part is that it takes longer to find a photo than it does to colorize it.

 If you are not familiar with MyHeritage, they are an online genealogy platform that have been around since 2003. They boast over 9 billion historical records available on their site. My research has not taken me to MyHeritage too much but I know others who have used their site and found new information and records that they have not found in other places. MyHeritage offers research tools, uploading and browsing photos, DNA kits and options for building your online family tree. With the addition of their new colorization feature, I will be visiting more often.

The colorization process is REALLY easy. To get started go to the MyHeritage website. Click on the "Family Tree" tab and then you will see "Colorize photos" from the drop down menu.


From here, all you have to do is upload a photo and the website immediately colorizes it. The whole process takes about 7-10 seconds. Here are a few examples of photos that I uploaded. Both of these photos include my great grandmother, Johanna Gudmundson Jensen. She died during childbirth in 1912.  We don't have many photos of her so any glimpses that I can of her personality or detail of her features is special.



The quality of color photo you get is going to vary depending on the black and white color you upload. Either way, what a gift to be able to see these precious faces in color. I colorized a handful of photos and this last one is my favorite. It is my grandfather with 2 of my aunt's. The quality on the black and white version is not that great but, wow! the color image turned out really great!


MyHeritage has a blog post that tells more about the process. Find those black and white photos and have fun!!

Comments

Popular Posts