Welcome Tomoki Tanigawa

This week we have had Tomoki from Osaka Japan staying at our home. It has been alot of fun. The week is just FLYING by! It has been pretty easy to make plans and keep ourselves busy with it being Halloween week. Here is our crazy week so far:
Monday: Tomoki arrived at BYU promptly at 7:30 pm. Isaac, Ainsley, Olivia and I were there to greet him. He was student #15 off his bus so we stood in line with the other host families in numerical order and when his number came we walked to the front of the bus where we saw him, they took a photo of us together, handed him his baggage and off we went. The ride home was hysterical! I tried to let the kids know that they needed to talk slow, clear and use a basic vocabulary. It was on that ride down University Parkway that I realized that the term "ward" is basic to Ainsley. Pretty much everything she said started with, "there is this boy in our ward...", "once, at a ward party...", "at our ward primary program..." or something similar to that. Every time I told Olivia to slow down she just got louder, not slower. I am sure his mind was going crazy since he had just come from the airport so this was his first real experience with a bunch of Americans. Once we got home we gave him the grand tour of home, I made him a sandwich which he seemed to like and we started talking a bit. He found his home online using Google earth and Brian found some youtube videos of popular music from Japan that we watched. He brought some brochures of his home town so we looked at them and got a bit acquainted. I had bought 2 kinds of ice cream and he had a big bowl of each flavor and ate it up. By 9:30 he looked like he was going to pass out so we let him get to bed.

Tuesday: We are carpooling with 2 other host families so today was my day. We picked the other 2 boys and were off to BYU at about 7:30 am. Tomoki could have used alot more sleep but no time for that. As soon as his ride dropped him off at our home around 4:30 pm we were off. First a stop at Isaac's futsal game. Tomoki is a fan of soccer and seemed to enjoy watching the game. I went through my itinerary ideas with him for the week. I have no idea how much he understood but thank goodness for internet on my phone so I could give him some visuals. I had to call Nate to give me the Japanese word for "church" because we couldn't understand that one at all. After the futsal game we went to Fudrucker's for some all-American hamburgers. We immediately introduced him to Rootbeer. Like I expected, he hated it. But he did like the self serve drinks. At least he could try them all before making a commitment.

Comments

Popular Posts